Today, I’m sharing yet another thing I saw on Pinterest, but was too thrifty to buy…a chalkboard table runner for a buffet. How ingenious is that, I ask you? I like to have placecards in front of each item on a buffet, so guests aren’t wondering what they’re taking, but this is so fun for a barbeque or any casual party. And at my house, they’re pretty much all casual.
And who knew you can buy chalkboard cloth? Well, apparently it’s been around for years, according to the cutting table lady at Joann’s. It’s pretty inexpensive, too…around $5 a yard. I made two of these for less than $10 (I used a 40% off coupon for the chalkboard material).
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1-3/4 yards chalkboard fabric
- 2 bandanas, or 1 yard of material for binding
- Rotary cutter, mat, and ruler
- Paper plate and Sharpie
- Sewing Machine
- Iron and Ironing Surface
1. Cut the chalkboard fabric in half lengthwise. You can actually make two from the 1-3/4 yards, but it needs to be that long so you don’t have a seam in the middle.
2. Use a paper plate to trace rounded corners, then cut those off.
3. Make the binding: ***If you don’t want to make binding, you can buy it already made in the notions section…you’ll need about 4-1/2 yards. ***
Cut 3” wide strips from your bandanas or binding material ON THE DIAGONAL.
Sew the together, right sides together, to form one long binding strip.
Press those seams open.
Fold in half and press.
Fold each edge to the middle and press again.
5. Invite your friends over and let them marvel at your creativity!