Yep, I’m cheap. I mean, thrifty. Whatever…I hate spending tons of money on big bottles of liqueurs when I can make them at home. Not to mention that they make great gifts…a little handmade gift to spice up your coffee…what’s better than that?
This is really easy, y’all…here are the recipes for both. The Kahlua does need to sit for 2 to 3 weeks, but you have plenty of time before Christmas.
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 Tbsp espresso powder (or 3 Tbsp instant coffee)
- 1 whole vanilla bean
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups good-quality vodka
1. Combine the sugars and water in a small saucepan and heat until sugar dissolves. Stir in espresso powder. Remove from heat and let cool.
2. Pour into a quart size jar. Add the vodka, vanilla, and vanilla bean.
3. Refrigerate for two to three weeks, until flavor develops.
Homemade Irish Cream
- 1 can (12 oz) sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk)
- 1 cup Irish whiskey
- 2 teaspoons dark cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 cup heavy cream
1. Combine all in a quart jar and shake until well mixed.
2. Store in refrigerator and shake well before serving.
Give a little bottle of each, along with a bag of coffee, for a perfect neighbor or hostess gift! I did write directions to refrigerate on the backs of the tags, just to be safe. I think these are a perfect thing to keep on hand for the holidays, in case friends drop by…a fresh pot of coffee and the addition of one of these, and you’re the hostess with the mostest!