So try as I might to cut sugar from my diet, I occasionally just can’t resist a lemon dessert. For some reason, the hubs bought a pack of individual angel food cakes from Costco. I think he was going to make something for my birthday and made Strawberry Tiramisu instead. Anyway, I was cleaning out the garage frig the other day and found a dozen cakes. So I had to make something with them before they passed their sell-by date!
This was a perfect summer dessert…light and fruit-filled, sweet and tart. I did use coconut milk and Greek yogurt in the filling, so it’s a bit more whole food friendly. But then I had to top it with a little whipped cream, just to finish it off!
Lemon Berry Angel Food Trifle
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 4 Tbsp butter, in small pieces
- 4 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 8 individual angel food cakes
- Fresh berries (blueberries, raspberries, or chopped strawberries)
- Whipped cream
1. With a whisk, combine sugar and cornstarch in medium saucepan. Stir in coconut milk, egg yolks, and butter. Stirring constantly, cook over medium heat until thickened and bubbly, about 6 minutes. Continue cooking for two minutes after it begins to bubble.
2. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Let cool to room temperature, giving it a stir now and then to prevent a skin from forming. Or press plastic wrap on the surface and let it sit.
3. When it’s cooled, stir in the Greek yogurt and refrigerate at least two hours, until ready to serve.
4. When ready to serve, layer cake and filling in glass bowl. Sprinkle with berries and top with whipped cream.
It seems like a lot of prep, but it really took about 15 minutes of cooking, then another 10 to assemble when we were ready for dessert. Hope you enjoy it as much as my family did!