Y’all…these are possibly the best thing I’ve made since we started our Whole30 – Paleo –What Works for Us plan a month and a half ago. I wake up in the morning craving these, they’re so good. And I’m generally ready for nothing but coffee in the morning!
And these are so very simple, too. They do take a while in the oven, but that’s time for you to do whatever you’d like. Or laundry.
Balsamic-Braised Beef Shortribs
- 2 to 3 lbs boneless beef shortribs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp herbs de Provence
- 1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 whole dates, pitted
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Melt a teaspoon of coconut oil (or use olive oil) in a heavy skillet or Dutch oven, something with a lid.
2. Sprinkle the ribs with salt and pepper, then brown them in the oil for just two or three minutes per side. While you’re browning the ribs, add the onions to soften a bit.
3. Add the garlic, herbs, tomatoes, vinegar, and dates and stir to combine. Put a lid on the pan, and bake at 300 degrees for about an hour and a half, until the ribs are extremely tender.
As you can see, we had ours with grilled asparagus and corn on the cob. I think you could probably make these in the slow cooker, as well. I just happened upon the shortribs at Costco on afternoon and just had to have them for dinner that night. If using a slow cooker, I would still brown the ribs, then combine everything else in the slow cooker and cook it on high for 5 or 6 hours.