This hearty and delicious soup will leave body and soul contented, y’all. Sausage and Tortellini Soup has come to the rescue many a time when I just couldn’t make a plan for dinner ahead of time and hordes of hooligans were about to descend from the school bus. I almost always have the ingredients on hand, so this makes regular appearances on our cold-weather menus. As well as being a quick weeknight meal, it’s a cozy Sunday night, football-watching favorite supper!
Sausage and Tortellini Soup
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 lb bulk (not link) Italian sausage
- 8 cups beef broth
- 1 Tbsp basil
- 2 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1-9 oz package cheese tortellini
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
- Grated Parmesan for garnish
1. In Dutch oven or stockpot, brown sausage and remove from pan with slotted spoon. Add onions to pan and saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add cooked sausage, beef broth, basil, parsley, garlic, and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer ten minutes.
2. Add tortellini and spinach to pot and simmer until tortellini is cooked though (it will float when it’s done), about 5 minutes.
3. Serve with Parmesan sprinkled on top.
And here’s what we ate this week:
- Monday: Sausage and Tortellini Soup with grilled bagels
- Tuesday: Quick Mozzarella Chicken over Whole-wheat Spaghetti and Steamed Green Beans with Lemon and Olive Oil
- Wednesday: Pumpkin, Black Bean, and Turkey Chili with Cornbread
- Thursday: Easy-Peasy Skillet Lasagna with Chopped Vegetable Salad
- Friday: Beef and Black Bean Burritos with Sweet Potato Fries and Fresh Pineapple
For the Beef and Bean Burritos, I just browned ground beef and a diced onion, then added a can of drained and rinsed black beans, and stirred in about a cup of mild salsa. We warmed tortillas and filled them with the beef mixture, shredded lettuce, and cheese. It was a delicious, spur-of-the-moment meal at the end of a busy day. And the hooligans love assembling their own food!