One recent Saturday, we’d been working in the yard all morning and suddenly found ourselves starving. I quickly saw the need for me to leave them to the yard cleanup and go forage for lunch (in the kitchen, because I wasn’t fit to be seen in public). I always have edamame on hand, since the hooligans love it as an after school snack or appetizer before dinner. I also had, happily, some vegetable spring rolls from Costco that had a short, readable ingredient list.
But I knew the troops would want something a little more substantial in there, as well, so when I spied the leftover grilled chicken from the night before, I thought Chicken Fried Rice would complete our lunch nicely. It took a little longer than I thought, since I had to cook some rice, but the meal was on the table in about thirty minutes, so no one fainted from hunger in that time.
Chicken Fried Rice
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 or 3 chicken breasts, cooked and diced (about 1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 large carrots, diced
- A handful of sugar snap peas, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 large green bell pepper, diced
- 6 cups cooked white rice
- 2 eggs, scrambled
- More soy sauce for serving
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and saute until soft, then add chicken and 2 tablespoons soy sauce and stir-fry for 5 to 6 minutes.
2. Stir in carrots, celery, red bell pepper, and green bell pepper and stir-fry another 5 minutes. Then add rice and stir thoroughly.
3. Add scrambled eggs and serve with additional soy sauce.
If you don’t have all the fresh vegetables on hand, you can substitute frozen mixed vegetables for the carrots, celery, snap peas, and bell peppers.
And now for the week’s menu…I’ve so missed posting these as we were travelling this summer, and I’m glad to be back sharing them. It motivates me to plan our meals!
- Monday: Pesto Tortellini Soup with Breadsticks and Fresh Pineapple
- Tuesday: Chicken Fried Rice, Steamed Edamame, and Vegetable Spring Rolls
- Wednesday: Sloppy Joe Sliders, Sweet Potato Fries, and Raw Vegetables
- Thursday: Grilled Marinated Chicken with Corn on the Cob and Poppyseed Strawberry Salad
- Friday: Make-Your-Own Pizzas on the Grill (mine was fresh fig, prosciutto, and feta drizzled with balsamic glaze…everyone else made pepperoni)