So last Friday, I realized that I was supposed to contribute something to the bake sale at school on Saturday. I spent all day Thursday cleaning out and then deep cleaning my kitchen, so I knew I was pretty low on both flour and sugar. What to do? Fortunately, I planned to make this party mix for the hubs’ work this week, so had the ingredients on hand. And, of course, it couldn’t be easier and still be homemade!
Caramel Party Mix
- 2 cups brown sugar
- ¾ cup light corn syrup (Karo)
- 1 cup butter (not margarine)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 12 oz box Rice Chex
- 8 oz small pretzel twists
- 12 oz bag M&M’s (I used pastel ones, but feel free to use whatever you want!)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine cereal and pretzels in large roasting pan.
2. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Add brown sugar and Karo and give it a quick stir to mix. Then, without stirring, bring it to a boil and continue to cook two minutes. Remove from heat, add baking soda, and pour over cereal and pretzel mix. Toss gently to coat evenly.
3. Bake at 350 for 8 minutes, stir, then bake another 8 minutes. Remove from oven, pour onto sheets of foil or wax paper, and let cool completely. Stir in candies.