I’m so glad you can buy the standard party mix, as well as many other variations of it. Why? Because I don’t like it, but always made it for my family and guests, of course!
Now I can make the party mixes I actually like, such as this version, spicy with ginger and sweet with banana chips and dried cranberries, as well as full of crunchy almonds and caramel-coated toasted cereal. Pure deliciousness, and perfect for movie night or on a hike…or, of course, at a party!
- 6 cups Rice Chex® or Honey Nut Chex® cereal
- 1 cup dried banana chips
- 1 cup unblanched whole almonds
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger or cardamom
- 1 cup flaked coconut (I was out of coconut, so this photo has none…but it adds a whole other layer of yumminess!)
- 1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries
1. In large microwavable bowl, mix cereal, banana chips and almonds.
2. In 2-cup microwavable measuring cup, microwave butter, brown sugar, honey and ginger uncovered on High about 2 minutes, stirring after 1 minute, until mixture is boiling; stir. Pour over cereal mixture, stirring until evenly coated. Microwave uncovered on High 4 minutes, stirring and scraping bowl every minute. Stir in coconut and cranberries; microwave uncovered on High about 3 minutes or until cereal just begins to brown.
3. Spread on waxed paper or foil to cool. Store in airtight container. Makes about 9 cups of mix.