Having never made a printer’s tray before, I was a little intimidated when thinking about needing a coherent plan for each space. I needn’t have worried…this project turned out to be one of the most fun things I’ve created lately.
The wooden tray originally held a mirror for Princess Thundercloud to decorate with glitter and jewels…a gift from her grandma…and I couldn’t just throw out the tray, now could I? Especially when I had a can of chalkboard spray paint in my craft stash! Actually, my GI Joe painted this for me, because I didn’t want black under my fingernails when we went to Mass. He’s a boy, so it’s expected that he might be grimy.
I used some Halloween Designer Series Paper from Stampin’ Up that was from a few years ago. You could easily print out a Halloween subway art, such as this one from Eighteen25 last year., and cut parts of it to fit instead I spritzed it with Basic Gray Ink using the spritzer tool, which is always fun.
I actually designed this to be a card, but with the rolled back flaps, it wouldn’t be very easy to mail. And I have that little problem of never wanting to let go of a card, anyway, so this allowed me to hang on to it for myself. I used the Googly Ghouls stamp set and Howlstooth and Scaringbone DSP from Stampin’ Up’s Holiday catalog…and I managed to use googlie eyes…yay! I forgot how much I love the Spiderweb embossing folder, too, until I wanted to spice up the background gray a bit.
To make the rosette, I cut a piece of the DSP 1-1/2” wide, then punched the edge with a Scallop Trim Border punch. I scored it every 1/4” using my Simply Scored board, folded it accordion-style, then joined the ends. I glued it to a cardstock circle, putting a heavy book on it to hold it until dry. I did the same thing with a 1/2” wide strip, for the smaller center one. When they were both dry, I added a bit of tulle and a Basic Gray corduroy button.
The bat sticker is from a Jolee’s sheet I picked up on clearance last year for kid crafting, and the stacked pumpkins are from a retired Stampin’ Up! set, Twick or Tweet. It’s my favorite Halloween set ever, so I happily fit it into the tray.
This jar of spiders was an extra last week when I made other googlie-eyed projects. I decided to let the lid be off these spiders, so one could worry about them escaping.
This project was much quicker and easier to pull together than I had imagined…I’m already thinking up what the theme of the next one could be!
I’m linking this up over at Eighteen25’s Great Halloween Linkup…come over and check out all the inspiration!