As I was thinking up things I could make for Valentine’s Day, I found this wooden frame that I got at a craft store for a dollar. With just a little time and embellishment, you’d never know it was such a steal. Never mind how much I spent on the dies and other embellishments…those are non-consumable, so you don’t have to count them in the cost! Really. I’m sure it’s written down in some crafter’s
justification rule book.
Crumb Cake and Rich Razzleberry Cardstock; Brights Collection DSP
5/16” Neutrals Brads; Scallop Circle and Lace Ribbon Border Punches; Hearts and Brackets Die;
Stripes, Perfect Polka Dots, Elegant Lines, and Square Lattice Embossing Folders
Very Vanilla Craft Ink; Rich Razzleberry and Melon Mambo Classic Inks; Dazzling Details
To start, I covered the frame with Very Vanilla Craft Ink, but just rubbing it all over with the pad. I’m high-tech that way. Let it dry…it takes a while…or use your embossing gun to speed it up. Then I stamped the Distressed Dots all over the frame using Rich Razzleberry.
While the frame was drying, I made the rest. For inside the frame, I ran a piece of Crumb Cake paper through the Big Shot with the Stripes Embossing Folder. I dragged the Very Vanilla Pad across it to highlight the embossing. I stamped the sentiment on Crumb Cake, colored it a little with markers, and highlighted it with Dazzling Details. I have to say, I’m a little disappointed in how the Dazzling Details make classic ink smear. It still looks cool, and I use it quite a bit, but I would use it even more if it stayed crisp! Anyway, then I mounted the sentiment piece on Rich Razzleberry and got to work on the frame embellishments.
The border is just punched from Crumb Cake, using the Lace Ribbon Border Punch. For the hearts, I cut a bunch of different ones using the Hearts and Brackets die (which is, sadly, retired). After cutting them, I used various embossing folders on them to add texture. I freely admit I’m a little obsessed with Embossing Folders. They can do wonders to dress up a simple, plain background on a card.
Next came the flowers, which I made up myself and really like.
1) Fold in half, then
2) Fold again to make quarters, and
3) Using sharp scissors, fringe the petals.
adhesive, although you can’t see it in the photo.
Now make a whole bunch of these, and you’re done!
And now I need to share a little bit of backstory on this post…I wrote most of it last night and only needed to take some photos of how to make the flowers this morning. Just as I finished (but of course before I saved) the power flashed and all was lost.
This morning I was all ready to retype and add photos, but first needed to go salt the driveway. Our temperature got above 40 overnight and it was raining, so the snow was melting, but forming large amounts of ice on the driveway. I couldn’t even drive my car back up the drive to the garage after taking the boys to the bus this morning, it was so slick.
So out I went to salt. After scattering an entire 50 lb bag, cupful by cupful, I walked over to my car to see if I could drive up the driveway yet. Instead, I ended up flat on my back on the ice, whacking my head soundly. I’m fine…my husband came home to deal with the ice, and I took a long shower and several Motrin. I really hope none of my neighbors was within earshot, however. Not to mention eyeshot, although that may have been pretty comical.
As a result, I took these photos post-fall, but I think I’m still a little dazed and they’re not as clear as I would like. But, I wanted to get this posted. I think you can get the gist of how to make the flowers, though.
Thanks for listening to my tale o’woe, and be careful out there!